Tonight I sat down to write with a specific topic in mind. It is just by coincidence(?) that my family decided to watch “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey.” About 20 minutes into the movie it hit me. That is a perfect title for this article. We are all about to go on an unexpected journey.
At some point in the next few years, every one of us is going to have a Bilbo Baggins experience. Drafted by circumstances into an adventure that we didn’t choose but cannot avoid. We will have a similar choice… to not sign the contract and let circumstances decide our future, or to engage with people we have not met and go on a seemingly impossible quest.
The dialogue in our heads is similar to what Bilbo asked Gandalf…
Bilbo: “Do you promise that I will come back?”
Gandalf: “No. And if you do, you will not be the same.”
There it is. As we look out over the landscape of our geopolitical and economic landscape, we intuitively understand that it is unknown territory. We seek the same assurances as Bilbo.
“When this is all over, will I be able to go back to the life I once knew?”
No. You won’t. The massive changes that loom on the horizon mean that it is unlikely we will return to the lives we know now.
But that’s the point isn’t it?
- Is this the news media you want?
- Is this the racial harmony you want?
- Is this the way you want your political system to function?
- Is this the economy you want?
- Is this the education system you want?
- Health care system?
- EPA, NSA, and the rest of the alphabet soup agencies that make up our Federal government?
- Is this the nation you want?
I didn’t think so. That is what the Great American Reset is all about.
It is about the unexpected journey that is ahead of all of us. The quest to engage in a time in history that will bring a convergence of events that will open the door for change on a scale we have not seen in generations.
Cross Currents Are Everywhere
You see it. I see it. The only way you can miss it is if you are living in a bubble.
- An outgoing President bent on executing a scorched earth policy.
- A mainstream media that is unrepentant and doubling down by crying “fake news.”
- The inability of the left to accept the results of the election.
- An emboldened Russia.
- A fearful China.
- A confused Europe.
- Increasing violence from the “tolerant” left.
- A rising stock market.
- A growing sovereign debt and pension crisis.
- The backlash in Western democracies against globalism.
- The winds of trade wars.
- The winds of regional wars.
- A growing clash of worldviews.
- A growing hope we can navigate the challenges.
- A nagging suspicion that we can’t.
And that’s just the beginning.
I can’t remember a period in modern history when the word “unprecedented” was used more often, in context, and without error. But here we are. So what does it mean?
I don’t know exactly. That’s the honest answer any and everyone should give. Nobody knows exactly where this is going to go or how fast it is going to get there. However, that doesn’t mean we can’t stay in front of it and navigate these changes. We can.
You just have to understand that the Shire is never going to be the same. Whether or not it is better or worse than it is today will be determined by those who have the desire to invest in its future.
Are you ready for the journey?